Aug 22, 2023 | 1:23 PM
Actress Tori Spelling has had a tumultuous year.
In addition to living in an RV after splitting from husband Dean McDermott, the former “Beverly Hills, 90210” actress was seen hospitalized on Thursday and discharged from the medical facility covered in bruises on Sunday. revealed that it was
Spelling did not disclose the current illness, but said several of her five children have been cycling to and from the hospital since January.
The reason, Spelling later admitted, was an ongoing mold problem in their home.
“Let’s talk about MOLD,” Spelling posted on Instagram in May. “Here we come to urgent care again. We’ve all been suffering for months in this continuous spiral of illness. Sick. Get better. Because we’re going to be sick again.”
“I used to think … well, that’s what happens when you have young kids in school. They just bring sickness into the house constantly.”
“We now know that the house poses a health hazard and was labeled as uninhabitable. [sic] The wording was true. I understand that now,” Spelling added.
“Our woes are on the next level: mold issues and a house that has been slowly killing us for three years,” she said.
Mold is indeed a serious health problem and a difficult one to solve as mold and the mold spores that spread it in the air are everywhere.
What is mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that can be found all over the world anywhere there is moisture, such as outdoors, inside buildings, ships, and automobiles.
According to the New York State Department of Health, “Mold spores are always present in the air we breathe. But widespread mold contamination can cause health problems.”
According to the EPA, mold can grow on almost any surface, including wood, carpet, paper, and food.
The three most common indoor molds include brown, green, and black cladosporium. According to Healthline, it’s most commonly found inside wood, carpets, fabrics, and heating and cooling ducts.
Penicillium, the raw material for the antibiotic penicillin, is a blue, green and yellow fluffy mold. It usually occurs in areas that have had water damage, such as under carpets, basements, and insulation.
Aspergillus is a powdery green, white, or gray mold. They live not only on food, but also on fabrics, walls, attics and basements.
Symptoms of mold
According to the Mayo Clinic, exposure to mold and mold spores can cause mild symptoms such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy or watery eyes, and dry, scaly skin.
However, people with asthma, mold allergies, emphysema, or a weakened immune system may have more serious symptoms such as wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness.
Despite these risks, few regulations specifically address mold in buildings. According to the New York State Department of Health website, “testing for mold is neither recommended nor required by any regulatory agency.”
“There are no state or federal standards for mold in homes. Sampling and testing for mold can be more expensive than simply cleaning and remediating water problems that cause mold growth.”
Also, mold inspection and mold removal are not usually required. “In most cases, there is no need to hire a licensed mold assessment contractor. Most people can identify and remove mold growth themselves,” the website states.
Moldy, hard surfaces that are not rotten or rotten can be cleaned with soap and water. Where it is impractical to remove moisture, a diluted chlorine bleach solution can be used to reduce mold growth.
If you have extensive mold or are very sensitive to mold, you may need to hire a licensed contractor.
Spelling, from Beverly Hills, 90210, was recently discharged after four days in the hospital. Her hospitalization may be related to the mold mentioned in previous social media posts, but what triggered her hospitalization has not been confirmed.
Photos and video obtained by Page Six on Monday showed Spelling with bruises on his face and arms, dizziness and needing help getting out of his wheelchair as he was escorted into a black SUV.